• The Environmental Health and Safety Manager interfaces with project managers, superintendents, foremen, customers, vendors, subcontractors, consultants, regulators and other members of project teams to ensure compliance with Federal, State and local environmental and safety regulations and to ensure safe working conditions for all
• Develop and communicate post incident reviews, findings, and key take-aways across all company lines
• Develop/implement Job Hazard Analysis, Risk Assessment, and Daily Hazard ID processes; based on reasonable amount of time and effort, effectiveness, ease of documentation, consistency, practicality
• Implement training program to model & coach Supervisors on pre-shift Risk Assessments; develop common hazard identification questions to engage crews
• Implement, promote close call reporting and feedback processes through consistent messaging at all levels
• Develop small group breakout session annual training programs for front line supervisors; provide hands-on training covering facilitating Toolbox Talks, meaningful hazard analyses and Risk Assessments, jobsite inspections, finding incident causes and contributing factors, electronic reporting how to’s, etc.
• Perform and/or direct OSHA, MSHA, First Aid/CPR, fleet driver, and other specialized training programs for employees, staff and subcontractors
• Work with manager(s) to develop better data mining of equipment/fleet damage events to increase data accuracy, true cost accountability, timeliness, and effectiveness of event learning communications
• Injury Prevention and Worker Compensation claims management - engage w/ employees, providers, and supervisors to support company performance goals; educate staff on strategies, initiatives, progress, costs
• Reinforce injury care management process w/ supervisors; communicate in field, share best practices
• Continuously update care provider network; interview, share Return To Work program, evaluate and seek additional providers based on project location and recent performance
• Share KPIs with supervisors; consistently communicate progress on key company initiatives and performance
• Ensure compliance with Federal, State, and local safety and environmental regulations
• Conduct routine site environmental inspections as they relate to NYS DEC and USEPA compliance requirements and address issues with site teams
• Conduct routine site safety inspections as they relate to OSHA and MSHA compliance requirements and address issues with site teams
• Conduct routine site reviews in an approachable and practical manner so as to engage employees and staff
• Prepare and submit clear and concise, solutions-based site safety reviews to senior management
• Ensure corporate safety policies are current as they relate to OSHA, MSHA, State and local regulations and in-line with best management practices and industry standards
• Effectively communicate (verbal and written) safety initiatives, policies, and compliance expectations
• Gather, analyze, and present relevant data and information to focus safety initiatives on identified areas of concern
• Work with department heads to track, coach, and improve employee, supervisor, and driver safety scores
• Maintain Safety Data Sheet mobile app and website; ensure accessibility and implementation with employees and clients
• Utilize Microsoft Office Suite to manage all responsibilities, information, and communications
• Ensure ongoing recordkeeping, manage completion of annual compliance reporting, review and update compliance plans and all site permits per regulatory standards
• Develop and sustain a constantly improving business safety culture through innovation, creativity and relationship building
• Perform other related duties as assigned
• Participates in interviewing, hiring, and training process of the Environmental Health & Safety Coordinator.
• Oversees the operation of the Environmental Health & Safety Department.
• Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
• Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.